A Ticker of CNNs top Political Stories

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Why So Negative?

I am not the biggest fan of local network television, but this Sunday as I am sure many of you did, I tuned in to FOX, CBS, and NBC to watch the NFL’s full slate of great football action. To be honest, I always forget how much political campaigning is on television around the time of an election, but watching ad after ad this weekend, I realized why I choose to forget. I simply ask, why so negative?
picture says it all
More often the not, these ads were not about the person who “paid” for them and approved them, but about his or her opponents. Stop telling me why I should not vote for the next person; tell me why I should vote for you. Make me a case that you are the best man or woman for the job instead of making it seem that “hey, at least I am better than that.” I do not want to hear that you disagree with what the other candidate is preaching, I want to know what you have to offer and what you are preaching. All this negative campaigning not only makes all candidates seem unfit and weak; in my opinion it also turns people off politics. No one wants to see these ads two or three times every commercial break. Lets face it, people are not very bright, their perceptions of the candidates attacked in negative ads will be stained by the information they are exposed to. And since all candidates are using negative campaigning, the general public's perception of all candidates is tarnished, thus leaving the people uninterested in and disgruntled with politics. It just wears down people, to the point that they do not care anymore, and just say “screw it” and not vote, especially in the low-stimulus midterm elections, although I have to say that this election in my opinion will not be of the norm, and that we will see a higher turnout than the common midterm election because of the times we are going through right now, people just feel that they need their voice heard. But back to the point, voters dislike this widespread use of negative campaigning, they do not want to see it, read it, or listen to it anymore. Rise up to the occasion, run a clean campaign, be the best person for the job, and go out and earn a victory instead of trying to slander your opponent into losing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment